Interested in learning Serbian?
Sign Up for a Premium Membership
Learn with Serbian Language Podcast
Learning the Serbian Language: The Two Pillars of Success
As you embark on your Serbian language learning journey it is essential that you realize your journey requires that you learn two things:
- You must learn HOW TO LEARN a language
- You must learn the intricacies of the Serbian language
While this sounds incredibly obvious, many language learners overlook the fact that learning HOW TO LEARN a language is different from learning a language. One precedes the other. For example, going to the gym and saying “I’m going to get a good workout” is very different from actually knowing how to use the machines, the free weights etc. You can’t get a good workout if you don’t have a fluent understanding of what each machine is designed to do, which body part it works, etc. In fact, NOT knowing how to properly use gym equipment is an easy way to get hurt. The same is true for languages. People often think a language is SOOO hard when in reality it isn’t just the language they are having difficulty with. They are also having difficulty with the process of learning HOW TO LEARN a language and this is impeding their growth. This is where people get frustrated, discouraged, and eventually leads to them giving up.
To prevent this from happening to you, here are 8 brief tips on how to learn a language (all of which we have incorporated into the Serbian Language Podcast program):
- Understand that results don’t happen overnight. It’s a process. Don’t fall in love with the idea of the future result of being able to speak with fluency. Instead, fall in love with the process of language learning. When a baseball player steps up at bat there is usually a 70% chance they won’t get a hit. And yet they step up to the plate with equal enthusiasm every time. Why? Because they are in love with the game…all aspects of it. As language learners we must have this mindset too
- Start by getting your ear accustomed to the language by listening to podcasts and audio stories (both of which we have on our website). This will build your familiarity with the sounds of the language
- Dedicate 30 minutes a day to your language study and be consistent. More time is great, but 30 minutes is a great place to start
- Watch lesson videos that give you a comprehensive breakdown of how the language works, grammar fundamentals, etc. (i.e. the lesson videos on our website https://www.serbianlanguagepodcast.com/ )
- Don’t focus on the memorization of words. Focus instead on the internalization of sentence structures. As you internalize how sentence structures works the words will come to you with greater ease because you will be learning what to DO with the words and how to use them and not solely memorize the words for word’s sake.
- Keep Practicing
- Take private classes to put what you are learning to use
- Have fun!